Friday, April 1, 2011

MILKED


Never saw him. He brought milk. Whole milk until my preteens. Two percent thereafter. He brought whole cream and half & half and after Thanksgiving he brought a quart of eggnog every other week up until Christmas. Bottles were glass. There were quart bottles and half gallon bottles and they all had orange lettering painted on their sides. Eggnog had green lettering and holly sprigs. Bottle caps were heavy foiled paper. They were difficult to reseal. All bottles were festooned with the Atlanta Dairies logo.

Milkman delivered milk to our house around three a.m. twice a week. Milk was left in a small metal crate with the Atlanta Dairies logo in its front. At the end of the month a bill was rolled and placed in the middle of the bottles. Most of the time it was wet from dew or condensation from the bottles and it would be spread out on the kitchen counter wet until it dried enough to where mom or dad could sign it and write out a check for the amount.

The milk was good. Cream seals sat on top. I pulled the clotted cream off the top with my fingers and ate it. It tasted like butter. The eggnog was dense and creamy and tasted of nutmeg on the finish. I can remember going downstairs for milk in the middle of the night and turning up the bottle and bubbling it. It was so cold it didn't have a taste. It was only liquid cold and running down my throat.

Don't think I ever went to sleep when I was supposed to. I stayed up most nights reading horror comics or Robert Howard pulp or Savage Sword or Jules Verne. I read with a flashlight. Later I got bold enough to turn on my bedside lamp, but I sat it on the floor so the light would not shine so bright through the window. When I heard the milkman's truck I knew it was late and it was time to go to sleep.

Atlanta Dairies raised the prices of their milk one year too high for mom or dad and they cancelled the service. They bought milk from Golden Gallon, a small store in the middle of a strip mall that sold only milk and milk products. In the spring and summer they sold slurpees: Coke or Cherry. Atlanta Dairies folded not long after that I think. Or they were bought by some other company. Whatever the case, it was never the same. There's no such thing as the milkman any more. No one brings milk to houses in glass bottles in crates. If you want milk with cream top you have to buy Nature's Creamery from Kalona, Iowa. Good luck finding that milk.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Main Line Sportsman said...

In Phila suburbs we still have Rosenberger's Dairy that does home delivery...not a widely used service but there are some hold-outs.
I can remember the Milkman...the blob of cream at the top...we sprinkled Nestle's Quick on it and it was like ice cream and pudding combined.
The real treat was the Chocolate milk they delivered when my Mom was feeling benevolent and requested it...

April 1, 2011 at 8:20 AM  
Blogger GSV JR said...

Wait, you still have home delivery but you DON'T USE IT? C'mon.

I'd gladly pay $8 per gallon so I don't have to buy Horizon anymore. Ever.

April 1, 2011 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger Theo said...

Yeah man, even here in the great down under I'm constantly hearing, "blah blah milkman blah blah don't you remember??? blah blah"

Guess I'm a youngin', but I'm stuck with Coles/Woolworths milk (supermarket duopoly for those not in the know) which tastes like water while our dairy farmers are copping it rougher than a rough treatment from a guy who likes to give really rough treatments.... (hope that wasn't 2 dumbo)

April 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger James said...

My joy was the Omar the bread man. Raisin bread was a treat for us when I was a kid.Then my uncle, who lived down the street beat him senseless one morning.Uncle Gordon had been on Guadalcanal, so as a 10 year old I just figured he flipped out. We dropped home delivery the next day. Wasn't until I was an adult I found out my aunt had been screwing the bread man. Which begs the old Benny Hill joke," How could you do that when we owe the butcher so much?"

April 1, 2011 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger GSV JR said...

Theo: Milk that tastes like water is like beer that tastes like water, i.e. bad.

James: You win.

April 2, 2011 at 7:01 AM  
Blogger js said...

my grandfathers on both sides, delivered milk. So did my uncles. my father worked for atlanta dairies up until the morning he died. i found your blog looking for milk bottles, crates, or anything else with the logo on it. Christmas gifts for my family if i can find them. your story made me smile. i wish milk, eggs and other stuff was still brought to the house. times were good and so was the milk! :) thanks for the good thoughts!! jeff

September 30, 2011 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger GSV JR said...

js: that's nothing to sneeze at. Wish I could have talked with them about the job.

October 5, 2011 at 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home