EVERYTHIN THAT ANYTHIN
A: Oh no sir it aint nothin like that we just seen her and aint known what to do. Aint like we seen a dead girl ever day. An you know we talk on it and tempt to figger out best thing to do were and now it you an me standin here talkin bout it an I aint see how nor whys I bein made out like I done somethin wrong.
Q:
A: I seen her first. Right wheres I told you. I bait up and cast and there I stand an looks down and there she be. Settin in the waters like so. Foam and trash all bunched up round her like a raft holdin her on up. She white as the foam. Some of yonder newspaper rub off on er like it do on fingers when you handle it much. An she got whole designs and what not on her legs and belly. Goshdern Winn Dixie hamburger steak aint but 99 cent a pound. That what her leg say anyways.
Q:
A: Catfish. We was fishin for catfish.
Q:
A: I do right fine about here sir. Always use them chicken livers.
Q:
A: Born an bred Jasper County. Always done fished here. Used to head on to old Mathis Brothers when we fill up basket an has enough for supper for few nights.
Q:
A: Aint nothin like Mathis Brothers. Hate that it gone. Everthin than anythin gone nowdays. Coldest beer in state. Aint never seen no glass ice over that quick. Bits of ice floatin in the head. So durn cold you aint even able drink it down quick. Freeze you on up. An they got buttermilk aint they? [laughs]
Q:
A: [laughs] Yes sir. I known about it. Order myself cold beer an a glass of Mathis buttermilk. Clearest buttermilk ever done seen. Shoot it down to warm up after that cold beer they got. Miss em somethin fierce. Miss they ribs and pork. I miss they beef and I aint had taste for beef. Somedays I eat pork liver for I eat barbecue beef but them crackers smoke it up good. Rub all that spice on it and it sweat out on that drum and take on smoke. Slice it up good with them bread slice an et on it with your fingers an your fingers all sticky with juice an smoke. Aint nothin like it. Everythin that anythin gone gone.
Q:
A: They give me pause first time I seen em. Reckon they hillbillies. Mountain folk. Then I hear them talkin bout how they shotgunned them wild pigs over in the marsh and they smokin them out back long with deer an turkey an goose. Old man Mathis give me taste all that an I aint of no mind to try no wild pig but it just about sweetest thing I ever done taste. He tell me his sons made up sausage with it blood an liver and handful Quaker Oats right out the can like we et on for breakfast. Aint heard of nothin like such. An I try it an it good. Taste right good.
Q:
A: Yes sir. Food of the soul. Make you glad you aint got to et it all the durn time [laughs]. My daddy he et up all that an he suck on them hog feet an eat them snouts an ears an tails. He et up so much hog I tell him he gone turn to one. [points] There go a right nice fish theres. You seen that strike? Godamighty. He six pounds least.
Q:
A: I aint mind. No sir. You reckon I drive myself?
Q:
A: She 1978 suburban yes sir. Good eye on you. Aint many more left like her.
Q:
A: That fine. I follow you on. An what bout that there dead girl? We just gone leave her be?
Q:
A: I aint known how it work. Just what I seen on the TV. That all.
Q:
A: I seen her first. Right wheres I told you. I bait up and cast and there I stand an looks down and there she be. Settin in the waters like so. Foam and trash all bunched up round her like a raft holdin her on up. She white as the foam. Some of yonder newspaper rub off on er like it do on fingers when you handle it much. An she got whole designs and what not on her legs and belly. Goshdern Winn Dixie hamburger steak aint but 99 cent a pound. That what her leg say anyways.
Q:
A: Catfish. We was fishin for catfish.
Q:
A: I do right fine about here sir. Always use them chicken livers.
Q:
A: Born an bred Jasper County. Always done fished here. Used to head on to old Mathis Brothers when we fill up basket an has enough for supper for few nights.
Q:
A: Aint nothin like Mathis Brothers. Hate that it gone. Everthin than anythin gone nowdays. Coldest beer in state. Aint never seen no glass ice over that quick. Bits of ice floatin in the head. So durn cold you aint even able drink it down quick. Freeze you on up. An they got buttermilk aint they? [laughs]
Q:
A: [laughs] Yes sir. I known about it. Order myself cold beer an a glass of Mathis buttermilk. Clearest buttermilk ever done seen. Shoot it down to warm up after that cold beer they got. Miss em somethin fierce. Miss they ribs and pork. I miss they beef and I aint had taste for beef. Somedays I eat pork liver for I eat barbecue beef but them crackers smoke it up good. Rub all that spice on it and it sweat out on that drum and take on smoke. Slice it up good with them bread slice an et on it with your fingers an your fingers all sticky with juice an smoke. Aint nothin like it. Everythin that anythin gone gone.
Q:
A: They give me pause first time I seen em. Reckon they hillbillies. Mountain folk. Then I hear them talkin bout how they shotgunned them wild pigs over in the marsh and they smokin them out back long with deer an turkey an goose. Old man Mathis give me taste all that an I aint of no mind to try no wild pig but it just about sweetest thing I ever done taste. He tell me his sons made up sausage with it blood an liver and handful Quaker Oats right out the can like we et on for breakfast. Aint heard of nothin like such. An I try it an it good. Taste right good.
Q:
A: Yes sir. Food of the soul. Make you glad you aint got to et it all the durn time [laughs]. My daddy he et up all that an he suck on them hog feet an eat them snouts an ears an tails. He et up so much hog I tell him he gone turn to one. [points] There go a right nice fish theres. You seen that strike? Godamighty. He six pounds least.
Q:
A: I aint mind. No sir. You reckon I drive myself?
Q:
A: She 1978 suburban yes sir. Good eye on you. Aint many more left like her.
Q:
A: That fine. I follow you on. An what bout that there dead girl? We just gone leave her be?
Q:
A: I aint known how it work. Just what I seen on the TV. That all.
Labels: Drowning, Jackson Lake, Mathis Bros Barbecue, Middle GA

4 Comments:
nice lil raymond carver appropriation there. then i think carver - meat - wow... the world is a many layered place... maybe
Holy moly. Forgot about that story/movie.
This was real, mostly. Third drowning of the year. Think 2000 or thereabouts. Dialogue is real, mostly. What was remembered anyways.
well, nice as. I always liked that truth stranger than fiction etc (even if it is a bit of a hackneyed phrase)
Always, Theo. Always...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home