SNAILS 02
Spent a king's ransom on cinematically beautiful Oak Leaf lettuce at the green grocer's market. The purple and green leaves behave without the threat of the knife and demand to be left whole. I acquiesced.
Fresh snails and sweet onions in the pan. Drippings, bacon. Listen to them screech and pop. A glug of brown chicken stock. Off the heat to rest. Assemble your dressing: Dijon, olive oil, garlic. Pungent, earthy, sharp.
To the bowl. Hand toss. Coat the leaves. Take the snails and onions and bacon to the leaves. Watch them slowly wilt. Drizzle additional dressing, but attempt to keep it from looking as contrived as I did. Salad!
Fresh snails and sweet onions in the pan. Drippings, bacon. Listen to them screech and pop. A glug of brown chicken stock. Off the heat to rest. Assemble your dressing: Dijon, olive oil, garlic. Pungent, earthy, sharp.
To the bowl. Hand toss. Coat the leaves. Take the snails and onions and bacon to the leaves. Watch them slowly wilt. Drizzle additional dressing, but attempt to keep it from looking as contrived as I did. Salad!

2 Comments:
Are snails easy to come by in your neck of the woods? Or do you raise your own?
I'm tempted to do so, but the differing opinions on the flushing and cleaning puts me off.
I'm lazy.
I can get them at the farmer's market. But... they're hideously expensive and really taste no better than the Pere Guy canned ones I buy from Marky's online.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home