PISSING MATCH
Chefs tend to get into a pissing match when it comes to roast chicken. Honestly, it isn't easy to do one well. It takes practice. You have to know a few tricks. Otherwise, you may as well oil up those hiking boots and fire them up.
The first trick is herb butter. No, it's not commercially availible. At least I hope not. A stick of butter softened to room temperature. Chop some herbs up. I use tarragon and sage. Mix the hebs with the softened butter. Voila. Herb butter. The second trick is trussing. You'll need kitchen twine. Tie the legs up so they are suspended at equal height behind the bird. Tuck the wings over. This will insure they cook at roughly the same time.
Vegetables. I tend to use carrots and fennel and onions. Chop 'em up. Place them in the bottom of a roasting pan. Rub the chicken down with the herb butter. Chop a few lemons up. Stuff the chicken's cavity with them and the remaining herbs. Pour some stock over the veg and into a very hot over for 30 minutes.
You'll need to check the bird in 15 minutes to make sure its browning evenly. Just rotate it if it's not. Once it's cooked for 30 minutes, turn the oven down to 350 and cook for another 45. When done, open the oven door slightly and let it rest for at least 30 minutes. If you carve it immediately, all the juice will run out and it will taste like those hiking boots.
Plating. Simple. Spartan. Mash. Cooked veg. Chicken. Spoon some cooking liquid around it. That's it. I won't go into wine pairings. K couldn't beleive I drank a High Life with dinner.

The first trick is herb butter. No, it's not commercially availible. At least I hope not. A stick of butter softened to room temperature. Chop some herbs up. I use tarragon and sage. Mix the hebs with the softened butter. Voila. Herb butter. The second trick is trussing. You'll need kitchen twine. Tie the legs up so they are suspended at equal height behind the bird. Tuck the wings over. This will insure they cook at roughly the same time.
Vegetables. I tend to use carrots and fennel and onions. Chop 'em up. Place them in the bottom of a roasting pan. Rub the chicken down with the herb butter. Chop a few lemons up. Stuff the chicken's cavity with them and the remaining herbs. Pour some stock over the veg and into a very hot over for 30 minutes.
You'll need to check the bird in 15 minutes to make sure its browning evenly. Just rotate it if it's not. Once it's cooked for 30 minutes, turn the oven down to 350 and cook for another 45. When done, open the oven door slightly and let it rest for at least 30 minutes. If you carve it immediately, all the juice will run out and it will taste like those hiking boots.
Plating. Simple. Spartan. Mash. Cooked veg. Chicken. Spoon some cooking liquid around it. That's it. I won't go into wine pairings. K couldn't beleive I drank a High Life with dinner.

Labels: Chicken, Herb Butter, Roasting

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home