Friday, March 27, 2009

TREASURE

The freezer has become a treasure chest of sorts. Ziploc bags frozen to strange brown and tan bricks, legends scribbled in black Sharpie across their expanse. Behind an old regal mallard awaiting the taxidermist were three exciting finds: Quail, venison liver, duck hearts. Almost akin to fiding well-aged wads of cash in winter coat pockets come first freeze. I thawed the liver and a loaf of good sourdough, too.

Venison liver is quite clean, immeasurably rich, and smoothly textured as earnest pate. The possibilities are innumerable, unless you've got one ear to the cheffy mob demanding game offal to be served "crudo" with microgreens and herb-infused oils. Not this cowboy.

Assemble the cornerstones of good seasoning: salt, black pepper, Colman's dry mustard, cayenne. Of course, how much or how little depends on your personal taste. I tend to season my all-purpose flour "well," so translate that however you will. While seasoning your flour, have your pan on the heat. Cast iron, of course. Some butter to the pan. When the snap, crackle, pop begins, toss your livers in seasoned flour. To the pan for a good sizzle. Again, we're at the divide on matters of taste. I prefer my offal the same way I prefer my steak: medium rare or rare, and when it's something like venison offal - inherently clean - I almost want to heed the cheffy call for "crudo." A mere introduction to the heat. Count to 10. Turn. Remove. Submit the sourdough toast to the broiler.

Now for the gravy. Chicken stock to the pan. Scrape up the floury bits. A splash of the ubiquitous Lea & Perrins, some sherry vinegar. Reduce. It's ready. Toast on plate. Livers on toast on plate. Gravy over toast. A glass of Guinness. The sun setting and the weekend upon us. To your good health and appetite!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger GSV JR said...

Ah, me love blogging longtime.

March 27, 2009 at 6:30 AM  
Blogger surprisingly said...

Ha, looks like you ate too fast for the photographer. Must have just smelled too good to wait.

April 9, 2009 at 10:37 PM  
Blogger GSV JR said...

This was one of those, 'oh, yeah, I need to take a photo... oh, um... well,' moments.

April 13, 2009 at 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home