Tuesday, March 24, 2009

BATHTUB GIN

The long sotted soak started with the trial by fire at the local Steak & Ale. Burnt hands and arms and shattered back, aching knees and visibly throbbing feet. Boiling bath and hair of the dog that bit you. Maybe something morose sobbing from a thriftstore radio.

I rekindled the affair after 12 hour shifts at a "gastropub" that shall remain nameless. More burnt hands, arms. Back and knees and feet much older and frailer. Pains that screamed for whisky and Melville. I'd slide into boiling bathwater and resume my spot with Starbuck, Queequeeg and the lot. A sip. A sigh. Turn the hot to a trickle. Ahab's angst. The endless cetological digressions. More sips. The pain warped, bloomed. A bloodred throb of broken ache. The whisky spilled into its cracks, smoothed them as clay. There was no room for music.

Two weeks ago we found ourselves showerless. The tub, still functioning, beckoned after a long day of moving things "around" and general cosmetic chicanery. I felt like I'd worked sautee for 12 hours. Choreographed torture trot from oil to pan to stove to order to plate to mise-en-place to expiditer. Burns and cuts along the way! Runners in your grill with a cold skirt steak, a raw skate wing, a request for additional "spicy seasonings."

No wonder the kitchen manager huffed bug spray in the walk-in.

To the cupboard. A tall glass. Ice. I rolled a lime under my palm and halved it; ground the juice and pulp with the vaguely Sadean citrus reamer. Hendrick's remnants. Ah... A little tonic: A subliminal suggestion of effervesence. To the bath. James' Varities of Religious Experience must suffice with Melville on the shelf. To your good health!

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

That sounds awesome, and yet... I was hoping for a bathtub gin recipe!

I have an unopened bottle of Hendricks sitting in the fridge, waiting for me to be done with the cheaper stuff. I'm pretty excited, I've heard good things...

March 24, 2009 at 5:37 PM  
Blogger GSV JR said...

Haven't made my own hooch... yet. Hendrick's is good, but I think I prefer plain Bombay. Then again, I'm not welcoming with open arms its procedural trappings - cuke slices, etc. Tradition trumps the predictable breaks with every time for me anyway.

I think I'm going to eat dinner from the bath, Roman style.

March 25, 2009 at 6:47 AM  
Blogger Tone Loki said...

For a G&T? Sure, go with Hendricks - but add cucumber instead of lime... And insist on Fever Tree over Schwepp's..

For a martini? Too many botanicals! Stick good ole Beefeater for cleanliness...

March 25, 2009 at 6:49 AM  
Blogger GSV JR said...

I'm at a geographical disadvantage, Tony. Cocktail prep is something handled with ham-fists here unless it's done within the walls of my home. That said, I don't know if I can substitute cuke for lime.

Ditto on the Beefeater - or Boodles - for the martini. And eviscerate anyone who speaks of "Apple Martinis."

March 25, 2009 at 7:52 AM  
Blogger Tone Loki said...

Be bold, my friend - cucumber lifts the Hendricks and tastes completely natural with the juniper and peppery taste, and doesn't overpower the floral tones.

Damn, I'm thirsty...

I'm gonna buy a bottle of Punt E Mes vermouth on the way home - I feel a night of Rob Roys coming on!

March 25, 2009 at 8:32 AM  
Blogger Tone Loki said...

Fever Tree naturally light tonic:

http://www.fever-tree.com/drinks.php

March 25, 2009 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger GSV JR said...

OK, let go of my arm. I'll bite. Weekend, where are you?

March 25, 2009 at 8:37 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

That Fever Tree stuff looks pretty hard to get in Canada, but I'm intrigued. Bombay is usually my tipple of choice too, Stew. And I am constantly having arguments about whether a vodka drink served in a particular glass is a martini (it isn't).

March 25, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home