DOUBLEWIDE DINNER_01
First potroast I had came out of an ancient crockpot and was cooked in Coca-Cola and Knorr Onion Soup mix. It was tender as room temp butter and I would've just rubbed my body down with it had it not tasted so fantastic. I'd only known large cuts of beef before as things I chewed and chewed and chewed. Not something that melted and tasted so savory to have been boiled down in something so sweet. So here's my gift to you. One of many to come, folks. Yes, my tribute to honest cooking. A few ingredients for a few bucks. Something that takes a while or only a few minutes and feeds the family for two or three days. What we're all looking for right? And keep in mind all of these recipes are fluid. They change. If you have RC Cola in the fridge and not Coke, that's fine. But no Pepsi. Absolutely no fucking Pepsi. This recipe calls for four things: A chuck roast, Coca-Cola, Knorr Onion Soup mix, and a crock pot. If you live in a trailer, you've got a crockpot. If you don't, you probably have a "dutch oven." I'm not going to go into the "dutch oven" directions; you can get those from Bobby Flay. If you can't find Knorr soup mix, there will be other brands, McCormick or something. Maybe even a grocer's brand--Kroger, Publix, etc. That's fine. Just don't use canned broth. You need the dry mix. That's all that will do.
Plug the crockpot in. Slip the roast off its Styrofoam raft. Cover with Coke. Shake the soup mix over it. Turn on high. Cook until the chuck roast is nearly falling apart. You can cut up some potatoes, onions, and carrots during the last half-hour of cooking and add them if you want. But don't add them at the beginning. Otherwise they turn to mush. You can serve with rice or egg noodles, but I just get a bowl and ladle the meat and veg and juice into it. Crack a beer and dinner's done. Little cleanup makes for more rasslin watchin on TV. Off the top ropes.
Labels: Coca-Cola, Doublewide Dinner, Knorr, Pot Roast

3 Comments:
mmmmmm-mm. so what's for dessert? by the way that fridge pic is fantastic. not one but two cans of Shasta.
check these:
http://www.markmenjivar.com/galleries/fridge/
I am always fascinated when Coca-Cola is in a recipe...splendid...and damn right...no fucking Pepsi...EVER!
Amatourist: Sticking to the format it would be an apple baked in the microwave. Nice fridge gallery. 12-pt buck and a moldy lemon.
MLS: Only alternate CC with RC, or if I can find it, Red Rock Cola, a local soda old as the hills.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home