Tuesday, February 2, 2010

HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?

How much would you pay for a six pack of beer? Let's say it's "good" beer. Let's say it's really good. How much are you willing to pay for it? Six dollars? Eight? Ten? How about $18? There's no way in hell I'd spend that on a six. I hate going out precisely because I loathe paying $6 for a pint of Guinness. I loathe paying $2 for a Schlitz tallboy. The most I've paid for a six was just over nine dollars for Skullsplitter. Great name, but I never bought it again.

My beer philosophy is simple. Keep a variety on hand. Domestic, microbrew, imports. It's always the same and the fridge is always stocked. The most expensive beer in the fridge, bar none, is always Duvel. But the taste. The effect. Since I can't pelt my brain with Stan Laurel's fossilized tongue, I drink Duvel. Odd, disorienting, happy dumb drunk it is. Isn't it? But it's not worth $18. No beer is.

My friend T and ran up a $90 bar tab on "seasonals" and whiskies at this horrible in-town Atlanta bar in an hour. How much is too much? We were shocked. And drunk. I don't remember them being Scotches. Maybe they were. The "seasonals" were shit, though. Tasted of burnt malt and berries. At least that's what I recall. I have a great photo of T hugging a burned-out pickup truck on the walk back home. If I had it on this computer, I'd post the fucker. Best thing about that night was getting introduced to Teacher's and taking her to bed.

Then there's Guinness. I once spent close to a $100 on Guinness at a bar in Red Hook years ago on St. Patrick's Day. There's a certain point where the pints become weightless, airy intake, and the aftertaste fleeting, milky, honeyed, chocolate. When you reach this point, it's trouble. I remember everything about that night, however. I remember drinking Bourbon with P on the train. I remember the annoying girls in chunky "Flashdance" leggings and faux furs walking ahead of us, smoking cloves. I remember retching on clove smoke. I remember saying fuck it and chipping in for a cab ride. I remember the doorman looking at me like I had my genitals hanging out of my pants. Maybe I did. Jesus. How much is too much?

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

You bastards don't understand how good you have it. Beer is so much more expensive up here - the cheapest you can get a 24 for is about $28. It is literally illegal for beer stores to charge less for it. And don't get me started on bar prices...

February 3, 2010 at 1:09 PM  
Blogger GSV JR said...

Does not compute. Home of Labatt, Molson, Moosehead... Carling for fuck's sake. A 20 pack of Carling Black Label costs $8 here. EIGHT DOLLARS.

February 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

A pint of Moosehead will run you at least $5 in almost any bar you can find up here. It's disgusting. Our local will sell us a pint of Wellington SPA for $4.35 including tax, and we consider than cheap.

There's a reason I always drink when I go to America.

February 4, 2010 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger Tone Loki said...

"Everything is not enough, and nothing is too much to bear" TVZ

February 5, 2010 at 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home